Popular Post

Friday, February 18, 2011

FBFF: body image

for this week's friend friday we are talking about body image and whether or not blogging has changed our image of ourselves in any way. if you would like to read what some other great bloggers have to say on this subject, or if you would like to join friend friday, head over to Modly Chic.

1. Since you started blogging has your image of yourself changed?

well, not really since i started blogging. but we did start our blog shortly after my daughter was born and having her has definitely changed my self image. going through the whole process of being pregnant, having my body change so dramatically in such a short time, and the the long and tough process of getting my body back (at least semi-close) to what it was before really changed my image of myself and my body and what i and it can and cannot do. and having this little wonderful person to take care of has definitely made me focus less on myself and become less obsessive about working out and getting to a certain size or weight or impossible image that i used to have in my head and could never achieve. i still work out and want to look good and feel healthy, but it is not to the extent as it was before i had amelia. and that is a good thing! the blog has definitely made me put myself out there more and made me a bit more comfortable in front of the camera and sharing those pictures of myself...more on that later...

2. Are you self-conscious about any aspect of yourself? If so, do you
go out of your way to avoid it or do you post it/talk about it anyway?

i am self conscious about certain parts of my body, for sure! i think everyone is. but i don't go out of my way to avoid it or not talk about it. i don't point out my flaws either, though! i think over the years i have learned how to hide them and, of course, become more comfortable with them. i wouldn't say that i am quite at the place where i love and embrace them, but hopefully that day will come.



3. Based on how you are feeling now, what do you think the future
holds in the evolution of your body image?

as i have gotten older my body image has definitely changed for the better. but it is still a work in process. and i definitely have my days when i revert back to my old self image and harsh criticism. but i really think that having amelia helped so much. just seeing what my body can go through and withstand and what it can create is so amazing! and as i age and my body changes more or if i get pregnant again and go through that process again, i know that my body will continue to amaze me. sure, there will be bad days, i know that. but i could never go back to the bad feelings (almost hatred at times!) that i used to have about my body after seeing the great things it can do! (sorry...getting a bit deep...)

4. Do you photograph yourself for your blog? If so, how do you feel
about the experience when you're having your picture taken? If you
choose not to post pictures of yourself, what prompted that decision?

i do photograph myself. it has definitely gotten easier over the last few months. i have learned which poses look good and things like that. but i have also decided to take myself less seriously in pictures (face it, i am not a model!) and just have fun with it. and when i made that choice it made a huge difference. i really don't love taking photos of myself and putting them out there for all to see, but i am getting more comfortable with it. and i think it can only get better...i never decide not to post pictures once i have taken them. i just make sure the pictures i take are ones that i don't mind people seeing! and if i have a particularly funny outtake, i kind of love sharing them. you have to laugh at yourself sometimes! 


5. What would you want every person who struggles with body image to
take to heart?

oh man, it gets better. i struggled horribly with negative body image in my teens and twenties. horribly. it is hard work to break out of the way you look at your body and to see it in a new and better light. for me it took a huge thing, my pregnancy and birth of my daughter, to do that (please don't rush out and get pregnant though!). but just know that everybody is different, every body is different, and everybody is beautiful. there are impossible images and standards set by our society. it really is sad and scary. just don't try and attain the impossible. take a good look at yourself and find what you really love about you! everyone is good at something and has something amazing to offer. you are so much more than just your body! 




xoxo, nora bird

No comments:

Post a Comment